Author Topic: CCPulse 7.1010  (Read 20106 times)

Tony Tillyer

CCPulse 7.1010
« on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
Perhaps it's just me but I have been running CCPulse+ 7.1.010 with 1 workspace which has very few stats on it but, after about half an hour the application grabs all of the available memory (CPU) and eventually locks out.

I can't find anything wrong with the stats display (all stats are set to a 5 second refresh).

Has anyone else come across this anomaly?

Tony

Mike

CCPulse 7.1010
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • Tony,

I ran across this issue in earlier versions of CCPulse+ (memory leak with XP machines). However, I am currently running the same version of CCP as you and have not had any issues (and I am running a workspace with a multitude of stats on it.)

A couple of the workarounds (that seemed to help) that Genesys suggested when I had this issue were:

1) Vary refresh rates for each stat so not all stats are getting refreshed @ the same time.

2) In you task manager, set the priority for the CCP process to "Below Normal"

Mike

Tony Tillyer

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • Thanks Mike

I found an article in reference to the version of a VB DLL, relating to the memory leak and I've updated that.

Is it possible to set the priority of CCPulse+ in the Task Manager on start up of the application? Some sort of switch, akin to the /u /p /ws that you can usually associate with CCPulse+?

Tony

Mike

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #3 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • Tony,

There may be a way to set the service to run @ a lower priority @ startup but I do not know what that would be.

Sorry.

Mike

LeszekM

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #4 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • You can modify the shortcut you use for launching CCPulse.

Rightclick the shortcut, click "properties" and change the path. For example:

C:GCTI/CCPulse/CallCenter.exe

should be changed to:

CMD.EXE /C start /BELOWNORMAL C:/GCTI/CCPulse/CallCenter.exe

(of course you will have backslashes in the path, but the webpage seems to have problems displaying that so I changed them to slashes).

I hope that helps.

Leszek

Tony Tillyer

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #5 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • That will definately help!

Thanks very much,

Tony

Tony Tillyer

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #6 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • Sorry, I must be having a thick day...

Should I use: "cmd.exe \C start \BELOWNORMAL C:\Program Files\GCTI\CCPulse+\"" (where \ is the backslash...)

in the "Target" or "Start In" box?  Either way, it does not accept the command as being a valid command.

?

W

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #7 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • In a bat file in the directory where CCP binary is located?

LeszekM

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #8 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • Sorry guys for the mess.

I mean:

CMD.EXE /C start /BELOWNORMAL C:\GCTI\CCPulse\CallCenter.exe    

(\ is the backslash)

LeszekM

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #9 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • I meant modifying the shortcut to CCPulse. I have not thought about the bat file as I haven't got any in this directory.

But..

yes, you can write your own bat file with even simpler command than I wrote (it won't work in a shortcut).

For example  make CC.bat file (it must be in the directory where CCP binary is located) with the following content:

start /BELOWNORMAL CallCenter.exe

Now you can use CC.bat file you've created to launch CCPulse.

Tell me if you have any problems.

Leszek

Mike

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #10 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • Using the .bat file worked for me!

Thanks LeszekM!

Mike

Ken

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #11 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • This is a known issue.  We experienced thgis as well but mostly with the upgrade to McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i.

This cmae from Genesys and worked for us......(we only needed steps 14)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;enus;891605

Article ID : 891605

Event 21246 is logged on an agent computer, and you receive an error message in the Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005 Operator Console

SYMPTOMS

When McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i is installed on an agent computer, you experience the following symptoms:

Event 21246 is logged in the Application event log of the agent computer.

You receive the following error message in the Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005 Operator Console:

Name: The MOM Host process was consuming too much memory and will be terminated

Description:

The host process for the script responses (nnnn) will be restarted because it is using nnnnnn more bytes than its limit of 104857600. To adjust this limit, edit the Software\Mission Critical Software\OnePoint\MaxScriptHostPrivateBytes registry key.

Management Group: group name

CAUSE

This problem occurs because McAfee VirusScan replaces the Windows Script Host component with the ScriptScan proxy component (ScriptProxy.dll). The ScriptScan proxy component scans JavaScript scripts and Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) scripts. When a script runs and passes through the scan as clean, the script is passed to the appropriate Windows Script Host. The ScriptScan proxy component parses scripts before they are run by the associated Windows Script Host. When the ScriptScan feature is turned on, the MOMHost.exe component slowly leaks memory. However, turning off the ScriptScan feature in the McAfee VirusScan properties does not correct the problem.

WORKAROUND

Warning: This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.To work around this problem, you must unregister the ScriptScan proxy component. To do this, follow these steps.

Important When you unregister the ScriptScan proxy component, McAfee VirusScan does not check scripts for viruses.

1. Log on to the agent computer by using an account that has domain administrator permissions.  

2. Click Start , click Run , type cmd, and then click OK.

3. At the command prompt, locate the %ProgramFiles%\Network Associates\VirusScan folder.

4. At the command prompt, type the following:

regsvr32 /u scriptproxy.dll

5. You must restart the OnePoint service to apply the changes. To do this, follow these steps: a.  Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

b.  In the Services snapin, rightclick OnePoint, and then click Restart.

c.  Exit the Services snapin.

Tony Tillyer

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #12 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • I think I missed something here... Could you explain how this is relevant to CCPulse? The vB bit...???

Tony

Vic

CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #13 on: January 01, 1970, 09:00:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • Wow!!! I have rarely seen such a long post! :)

It is very interesting  McAfee is in part responsible for the memory leak. Did I summarize it right?

If so, most have some majhor work to do, because for some reason or another we are all using Dell...

Offline JohnT

Re: CCPulse 7.1010
    « Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »
  • Best Answer
  • McAfee's scriptproxy.dll intercepts vbscript to provide virus scan functionality at execution time.  Unfortunately in this scenario memory appears to leak.

For typical vbscript functions like a macro in an excel  spreadsheet, this is a non-issue, since memory is recovered when the executable running the vbscript is stopped.  So in the example of excel, when you close the application, all is well again.

In CCPulse+, however, you typically run it on a continuous basis throughout the day.  So when you're using thresholds or actions containing vbscript, memory continues to leak for as long as CCPulse+ is open, eventually overwhelming your system.

You can recover this memory by periodically closing and reopening CCPulse+, but this was an unacceptable approach for us and instead we approached McAfee.

The solution was to unregister (but not delete!) scriptproxy.dll.  We were told that if you delete scriptproxy.dll, then the next McAfee patch will reinstall AND REREGISTER scriptproxy.dll.

Note that while this workaround solution does appear on McAfee's website (see http://knowledge.mcafee.com/article/838/KB40049_f.SAL_Public.html), they also have a slightly updated warning:

"There is a security risk in disabling ScriptScan. Certain applications, like Outlook and Internet Explorer, can render and execute scripts before a file has been created on the local system, thus executing before the On-Access scanner can prevent them. The On-Access scanner can stop the payload of attacks via this medium, but ScriptScan prevents a legitimate threat from executing in the first place."

Also, the post says that the issue had been resolved in VirusScan Enterprise cumulative Patch 12 or later, but when we tested CCPulse+ with Patch 12 we were still leaking memory and had to unregister scriptproxy.dll.
    « Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:07:58 AM by JohnT »
    John T
    ---------
    Homer Simpson: Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.