Author Topic: Genesys Prod on VMWare  (Read 13604 times)

Offline Michael

Genesys Prod on VMWare
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:57:32 PM »
We are in the process of upgrading from an environment of 5 different Genesys releases to a standard 7.5 environment. As part of the project, we are budgeting for new physicla hardware but are being pressed by our Engineers to virtualize everything. We are very reluctant to do so and Genesys recommends against it.

Has anyone had success with running a Genesys production environment on virtual servers / VMWare?

Thanks!
Mike

Offline thicke

Re: Genesys Prod on VMWare
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:33:04 AM »
Genesys does support VMWare environments when using 7.5.  From the latest 7.0 version of the document "Supported Operating Systems and Databases Reference Manual" (document version 70g_ref_os-db_03-2008_v7.0.004.89):

Genesys supports VMware for its products and solutions from release 7.5 onward, and will accept service requests for product issues reported while using Genesys on VMware.

I would still suggest you contact technical support and discuss the details with them first.

Offline Michael

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:15:18 PM »
Thicke,

Thanks for the reply. I know that Genesys states in their documentation that VMWare is "Supported" on 7.5+. However, we have had Genesys resources recommend against it. Because of that, I am specifically interested in whether anyone out there actually has a VM production implementation and what additional issues they might have had associated with it.

Thanks again!
Mike

Offline Adam G.

• Still Gorgeous.......
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
Mike,

I built an Inbound solution with VOIP GVP and TTS about 2 years ago on VMWare as a customer demoable system (4 agent positions, but fully operational). I saw no issues and the customer was able to make lots of test calls. I know you're after a production system and to all intents and purposes it was a production grade install.

Pavel
I continue to be tortured by Genesys

Offline thicke

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
Have you discussed it with tech support?  Since they're the ones who would have to support you and also who get the phone calls when there's a problem, they would probably be the best to recommend for or against the use of Genesys on VMWare.

I have only seen VMWare used in lab environments so far, but I have heard that some large Genesys users are wanting to move to it in production.  At this point, since it's only gone up as supported in the last couple of months, I don't think you'll get a lot of responses as it's probably not out there in a lot places.  That and the fact that people will want to test it in a lab/dev environment thoroughly means it's probably won't be in production in most places for some time.

The only real concern I would have with using VMWare is the CTI link between the telephony switch and the TServer.  It's always recommended to put this link on as isolated a network connection as possible. It's a little difficult to put such a measure in place on a virtual machine.

Offline gustav

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »
Is anyone familiar with VMotion and using multiple ESX servers to manage a Genesys environment?  I'm curious if there could be potential implications with this sort of dynamic management on the application side.?

Offline fnunezsa

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »
I've been working on site with a customer who has all Genesys platform running on VMWare ESX with no issue so far.
GCP7 - CIV, DIV, CVP, CGIM
GCP8 - COV, CiWD

Offline genesysguru

• Genesys Guru Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
Yes have our DR site mainly on virtualised servers. However, we always use physical servers for RTP components: Stream Manager, IPCS, GVP 8 etc.

Offline Timur Karimov

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Yes have our DR site mainly on virtualised servers. However, we always use physical servers for RTP components: Stream Manager, IPCS, GVP 8 etc.
we have virtualised servers for all components. and RTP work fine for last two years =) but we don't use the VMWare, we r using the Ms HyperV

WBR

Offline correis

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:08:39 AM »
I have been running Genesys Framework 7.2 in development on Vmware for since 2009 and have no problems to report.  I plan on moving production to VM this year.

Offline Lamiv_Rumak

• Hardwork never fails
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »
I too have been running Genesys Framework 7.2 and facing no problems so far

Offline Kevin S

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
We have been running Production on mixed VM/Physical for about 2-3 years.
On physical, we have our VTO servers (required because of Dialogic cards), and our TServers, URS, and Stat Servers.
Early in the deployment, we ran into issues where the applications would fail over to backup when the Genesys VM hosts were moved from VM Server to VM Server as it reallocated resources. We had a few instances where both TServers would wind up in Backup mode, or the former Primary TServer did not completely unacquire PBX resources.
The URS and Stat Server were on the physical just to have them on the same host as the TServer.

Although I believe our server team has resolved these issues (between configuration and a different version of VMWare), we have not attempted to move the TServer back to VM.