Author Topic: SIP queueing - Streaming Music Source  (Read 8965 times)

Offline MarkComplete

SIP queueing - Streaming Music Source
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »
Does anyone know how to get SIP to use a streaming music source for on hold music? I am not talking about using Stream Manager or Media Server to stream a single file with music in it. I am more interested in accessing a steaming source for hold music. This way when a customer gets put in queue or put on hold by a SIP agent they don't get the beginning of the same song each time. We have Media Server and can play messages without issue. I am just looking for a different options for music.

Offline MarkComplete

Re: SIP queueing - Streaming Music Source
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:12 AM »
I think maybe I should clarify. I want to be able to use Media Server. But I want to know if Media Server can get it's MOH from an external stream rather than a local file. For example, a stream from live365.com. Now I am not saying I would use that particular stream but would like the option to use an external source rather than just the Media Server file.

I hope this makes sense.

Offline cavagnaro

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:07:44 AM »
That question was a long time ago  discussed and  conclusion was no.
You can search for it here

Offline René

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
Hi Mark,

Both Stream Managers and Media Servers supports streaming music provided by external source. Unfortunately, there is no list of tested engines available but I know that Centauri from Mayah Communications works correctly with Stream Manager and Helix DNA Server should work with Media Server.

R.

Offline cavagnaro

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
Hey René,
That sounds interesting...on which document we can find info about that?
Thanks

Offline BenTaylor

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
Hey René,
That sounds interesting...on which document we can find info about that?
Thanks

Supported Media Interfaces Reference Manual, see the SIP Server Support table.

However support was discontinued with Media Server 8.1

Offline René

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:20 AM »
Cav,

There is no documentation available. You can only find a notes in Deployment Guides that Stream Manager supports streaming via HTTP and Genesys Media Server supports RTSP.

I did quick test and made Genesys Media Server working using VLC as streaming engine (RTSP). It's simple - just specify rtsp URI instead of name of music file.

My tests with other streaming engines - Helix DNS Server and Darwing Streaming Server were unsuccessful but I had very limited time to play with these.

R.

Offline MarkComplete

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:03:20 AM »
René,

Thanks for the info. I am still trying to get this to work with Darwin Streaming Server. The Genesys contacts I have seem to think I should be able to get this to work, but so far have been unable to provide me with the information I need to do it. I have found some information about getting a single file to stream via rtsp through Media Server to my SIP routing strategy. However, this still isn't exactly what I am looking for. I want Media Server to access a real time unlimited stream, like a radio station, and be able to use that as MOH or a busy treatment.

Hopefully, I will have more information later.

Offline MarkComplete

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
For anyone interested, I got this to work in a couple of different ways. The key seems to be the transcoder setting on the media servers themselves and the format of the the .3pg file I was creating. I never could get MP3s to work, at least using Darwin Streaming Server. I can provide some details if there are interested parties who want to know how to do this. I will say though that, because of the format required on the file, the audio is not that great, but it definitely will accept a stream.

Offline nonny

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »
It's been a while but have any of you had more luck with this?

Offline genesysguru

• Genesys Guru Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
Hi,

The latest GMS supports .mp3 formats and works with Helix.

Regards

Offline vmc

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »
An old thread, but what are people using these days for live streaming of audio over Media Server for queue music and MOH?  Looks like Helix has been discontinued. 

I've tried installing Darwin on a box here to test but I can't get the admin web interface to show up properly to actually do anything with it (Windows).

Offline vmc

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
Okay for anybody interested.  I managed to get Darwin Streaming Server to work under Win2k8 and stream a few MP3s via a playlist.  I did have to modify the parse_xml.cgi file in the Darwin folder as the windows build is (*&#$%.

That stream plays back fine through VLC player and Windows Media Player.

I've changed the default-music option on an extension DN to have the http://server/playlist value.

Putting a call on hold, I get what sounds like a heavily distorted audio track.  Given the streaming nature of this, I wouldn't have thought it was an issue around it being an MP3 source file so I don't think this relates to transcoder or codec options under mpc on the MCP/Media Server.  But I may be wrong.

Any ideas?

Offline vmc

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
Hi,

The latest GMS supports .mp3 formats and works with Helix.

Regards

Is this support for playback of locally stored files, or streamed mp3 files?