Author Topic: Pros and Cons of moving from IRD to Composer SCXML  (Read 2352 times)

Offline vijayp_genesys

Pros and Cons of moving from IRD to Composer SCXML
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:17:05 AM »
Can some one provide me pros and cons of moving the routing strategy from IRD to SCXML based? We have plan to migrate but want to get more clarity

Offline cavagnaro

• Administrator
Re: Pros and Cons of moving from IRD to Composer SCXML
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 05:09:26 AM »
Search the forum

Online hsujdik

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:10:18 AM »
There might be other pros/cons. The list below is my point of view on the subject that I can think of:

PROS:
- Easier for scripting JS than IRD (although both are possible).
- Distributed processing among the Orchestration Server nodes (still URS is a bottleneck playing a role to send commands to the T-Server/SIP Server/IXN Server)
- Session processing recovery from the point of failure in case a node goes down (URS re-executes the strategy from the beginning if the Primary goes down)
- Possible to use a market-grade versioning platform to keep track of changes.
- Most (and probably all) DevOps tools have the ability to publish the code to production.
- New features are usually only being pushed to Composer/Orchestration Server.

CONS:
- If you want a centralized repository for the strategies, you need to set it up on your own - and you cannot be sure that it is the one that is published.
- Some functions are not implemented on ORS and are dependent on URS in order to execute.
- Documentation is not as well-detailed as it is for IRD-based strategies.
- Strategies on Composer are not as "visual friendly" as they are on IRD.
- Adds complexity on the platform and more resources are required.
- On multimedia strategies/processes, there is no simple way to send all the interactions back to the Interaction Queue (e.g., if you want them to re-execute a new version of the strategy to fix a "stuck" scenario).
- Due to ORS caching, if you update the code of a strategy on the Web Application Server, the most-current code might take a while before being executed.

Offline gen_rtfm

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:32:35 AM »
I'm not an expert of any kind in this area but doesn't ors/scxml lend itself better to an event driven architecture, instead of the linear flow of ird?

I don't see composer editing supporting that though, or am I mistaken?

Thanks for your pros&cons hsujdik, very elaborate response!

Skickat från min Mi MIX 3 5G via Tapatalk

Offline cavagnaro

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »
There might be other pros/cons. The list below is my point of view on the subject that I can think of:

PROS:
- Easier for scripting JS than IRD (although both are possible).
- Distributed processing among the Orchestration Server nodes (still URS is a bottleneck playing a role to send commands to the T-Server/SIP Server/IXN Server)
- Session processing recovery from the point of failure in case a node goes down (URS re-executes the strategy from the beginning if the Primary goes down)
- Possible to use a market-grade versioning platform to keep track of changes.
- Most (and probably all) DevOps tools have the ability to publish the code to production.
- New features are usually only being pushed to Composer/Orchestration Server.

CONS:
- If you want a centralized repository for the strategies, you need to set it up on your own - and you cannot be sure that it is the one that is published.
- Some functions are not implemented on ORS and are dependent on URS in order to execute.
- Documentation is not as well-detailed as it is for IRD-based strategies.
- Strategies on Composer are not as "visual friendly" as they are on IRD.
- Adds complexity on the platform and more resources are required.
- On multimedia strategies/processes, there is no simple way to send all the interactions back to the Interaction Queue (e.g., if you want them to re-execute a new version of the strategy to fix a "stuck" scenario).
- Due to ORS caching, if you update the code of a strategy on the Web Application Server, the most-current code might take a while before being executed.

lol cava bad bad bad

Offline msh

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »

Hi

Good points, but the cache can be turned off. The first thing I do in the development enviroment.

I would say good things are the posibility to use version control for the strategies as you mentioned and the ability to use a more mordern development enviroment with things like automated build and deployment if you wish to set it up.

Another con is that ORS logs are not nearly as readable as URS logs. 

Offline cavagnaro

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:30:53 PM »

Good points, but the cache can be turned off. The first thing I do in the development enviroment.

How? Maybe refresh time can also be adjusted?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:44:43 AM by cavagnaro »

Offline msh

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 05:04:43 PM »
Set the following to 0 and restart ORS:

http-max-cache-entry-count
max-compiler-cached-docs
max-assembled-cached-docs
max-preprocessor-cached-docs
http-max-age
http-max-age-local-file
http-max-stale